Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Grapples  (Read 257 times)

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
Grapples
« on: 28. February 2017, 17:00:38 »

Another combat option I thought about: grappling

Grapples
Another way to subdue an opponent would be to grapple them. The grappler must roll BOD+ST compared to his opponent's MOB+AG as an action (and must have nothing in his hands). If both combattants are of different size categories, the larger one gains a bonus of +2 per size category difference. A character cannot initiate a grapple with an opponent who 2+ size categories larger.
If the initiator of the grapple succeeds and the grapple is not resisted, then both combattants are locked into a grapple. The grappled opponent cannot move, or attack. They could still cast spells with a penalty (see DS4 p.45), and must succeed at either a BOD+ST or MOB+AG compared his grappler's BOD+ST as an action in order to escape. Alternately, if the grappled opponent is armed with a small weapon (like a dagger), he could attempt to attack his grappler at -8, breaking the grapple on a melee attack Coup.
The opponent engaged in a grapple also cannot move, and if anyone attacks the grappling pair, they use the shooting into a turmoil rule (DS4 p.42), even if attacking in melee (except others who might want to join the grapple).
The grappler can attempt the following options by succeeding another BOD+ST compared by his opponent's MOB+AG as an action in order to try to perform one of the following actions:
• Move up to half his MR with his grappled opponent.
• Make his grappled opponent fall prone.
• Place a hand over his grappled opponent's mouth to prevent him from casting spells (see DS4 p.45).
• Place a hand over his grappled opponent's eyes to prevent him from using gaze attacks or seeing what is going on.
• Inflict his ST undefendable damage.

Edit: I'll admit, I'm not too fond of those rules as they're mostly the D&D grappling rules converted to :ds: . They seem too complex and convoluted for what :ds: is. I'd very much like to simplify them while still making grapples a worthwhile (but not overpowered) option for player characters.
« Last Edit: 28. February 2017, 17:05:02 by Kalajel »

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
Re: Grapples
« Reply #1 on: 04. March 2017, 01:26:47 »

I see that Dex started a similar thread on the german forum: http://s176520660.online.de/dungeonslayers/forum/index.php?topic=6402.0

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #2 on: 04. March 2017, 01:49:02 »

Alright, I think I have an idea for a simpler grapple rules using some of the ideas in Dex's thread...

• Grapple is an unarmed attack (so the opponent gains +5 to their DEF) which inflicts no damage if it hits, but locks both combattants in a grapple. You cannot initiate a grapple with an opponent 2+ size categories larger.

• Grappled opponents cannot move, can only attack their grappling opponents with a small weapon such as a dagger (breaking the grapple if scoring a Coup), and may cast spells at a penalty (DS4 p.45).

• Next round, on attacker's turn, both combattants make a comparative (BOD or MOB) + (ST or AG) using their highest values. Larger opponents gain a +2 bonus per size categories difference. The winner can choose to:
   - Break the grapple.
   - Move up to half his MR with his grappled opponent.
   - Make grappled opponent fall prone.
   - Place hand over opponent's mouth to prevent spellcasting (DS4 p.45).
   - Place hand over eyes to prevent opponent from seeing or using gaze attacks.
   - Inflict ST undefendable damage.

• Melee attacks on grappling opponents are done at -4 or risk hitting your ally (except joining a grapple).

vikleroy

• Level 7
« Reply #3 on: 04. March 2017, 06:54:23 »

There is a fanwerk on that and the rule is simple:

You need to have both hands free.
Attacker: BOD+St
Defense: MOB+Ag-5

Target is grappled and can't move.
If attacker makes a fumble, defenser can take a free action against him.

For breaking, I'll use the Entangle rule.

I like the possibilities you do for attack and defense.

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #4 on: 04. March 2017, 17:37:35 »

It's an old saying I heard... "Decent games have grapple rules. Good games have good grapple rules."

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #5 on: 06. March 2017, 16:47:56 »

I love that free attack on a grapple Fumble. It is reminiscent of the monsters' Natural Weapons special ability. I think I'll keep it as well.