Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/15/d176520641/htdocs/dungeonslayersUS/forum/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
RPG club I started

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: RPG club I started  (Read 939 times)

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
RPG club I started
« on: 17. December 2016, 01:48:30 »

Hey guys, about 2 months back I started an RPG club at the place I'm doing my social reinsertion which a non-lucrative charity which helps people with schizophrenia (which is partly why I went there since I am schizo myself, but enough about me...) and I introduced a bunch of newbies to the hobby.

Anyways, the people there are having a blast. The director himself is playing with us and he views roleplaying as a great therapeutical activity what with the social interaction, the cognitive abilities roleplaying encourages and so forth (seeing things as a therapist, I guess...).

Anyways, they recently finished The Lord of The Rats. It took longer than expected because schizophrenics have trouble with concentration and we often had to take breaks or I needed to explain and re-explain stuff to them. Also participation has been a bit spotty with about 2-3 constant players. I also had some late arrivals in the game, so I had to go through the whole character creation steps about 3 times or so throughout the game.

So basically, first encounter, they decided to sent the mages up front down the cellar, which allowed the rats to inflict a lot of damage on them (the party has like 5 mages!). They quickly learnt from their mistakes and sent the lone fighter up ahead in the next encounter with giant rats.

Finding the spider's den, the party argued whether or not they should open the cocoons fearing it might be eggsacks and they'd end up swarmed by a ton of baby spiders, which ended up attracting the attention of the monstrous spider anyways...

Then they reached the temple complex and decided to go to the altar room straight away... The got lucky by making a bottleneck at the room's entrance, that and a very generous lamp oil grenade on my part...

Clearing out the rest of the complex was pretty much done without any noteworthy incidents aside perhaps from a very lucky shot form the skeleton who almost one-shotted the wizard.

Now I've started them on The Secret of Goblin Castle and I can't wait to see how this is going to go (partly because I can't use adventures from the corebook anymore since I noticed one of my player simply cannot stop himself from reading up on the adventures on his own copy of the book...).
« Last Edit: 17. December 2016, 01:53:30 by Kalajel »

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
Re: RPG club I started
« Reply #1 on: 24. March 2017, 00:29:01 »

Edit: forgot to note that in the final battle of Goblin Castle, one character died, and two very nearly died. The characters made the mistake of sending the mages and scouts up front against the hobgoblins. A mistake I thought they had learned after their first encounter of The Lord of the Rats...

They went to Westing to announce to the son of the lord of the death of his family. I don't know what the official sequel to goblin castle was, but I decided to use a modified version of the adventure Mistress of Spider Mountain for it. The young noble paid him for the death of the witch.

Before they went to spider mountain, they decided to buy poison because obviously goblins are so difficult to fight... :P Well, they ended up contacting the Westing thieve's guild fo this, and when they realized how costly poisons were, they decided to attack the thieves in broad daylight, kill them, and take the poison for themselves, which did not end well for them... Edit: and by that, I meant that two of them got killed before they got arrested by the town watch for disruption of the peace.

The noble bailed them out of jail, explained to them he had to use a lot of connections to get them out of jail, and that he was now involved and the thieve's guild would most likely come after him and therefore he had to leave Westing (well, he had to leave anyways for the whole succession thing), and as such, the players were pretty much indebted to him.

So they go to spider mountain, nothing really important happening en route or for most of the dungeon... until they meet two monster spiders... Oh man...

First, the scout holding the torch decided to shoot the spiders, dropping his torch, which extinguish the very next round making 75% of the party useless. The healer with Enchant Weapon was not using it, sitting on his spell and preferring to attack in melee. The sorcerer who never got any offensive spells decided to spend the whole fight ineffectively shooting with his bow. One of the spider double Couped a fighter which could not dodge it, thus killing him... Yeah, it got bad.

What this combat taught me is that Dodge is pretty much a must, at least 1 rank, just to avoid those double Coup shenanigans...
« Last Edit: 24. March 2017, 13:33:51 by Kalajel »

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #2 on: 27. April 2017, 15:16:32 »

The players are still running the modified Queen of Black River/Mistress of Spider mountain. Nothing really noteworthy has really happened, other than I often notice my players just hogging their PPs and TPs and not using them. I had a bit of a talk with them, telling them there really isn't much reason to just hog TPs, and waiting to have 6 PPs to increase a Trait which costs 3 to increase twice is really inefficient and you should increase it once as soon as you get 4 PPs...

I've also noticed that Mages have a ton of spell slots from levelling up and barely any spells (the party is around 4-5th level at this point). I wonder if I haven't made some sort of mistake here by not giving players enough spell scrolls, or if perhaps, treasure splitting in :ds: supposes that the party will give more money to the Mages so they can purchase spells to help the party.

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #3 on: 11. May 2017, 23:11:31 »

Okay, I have to share this because it is hilarious. I haven,t laughed like this in a game in a long time...

So basically, the healer who plays his character more like a fighter wanted to purchase the most powerful one-handed weapon he could afford. Well, that would be the battle flail. I tell him that if he purchase it at twice the price and get a fine quality one which would increase its WB further. So he does.

Now, you're thinking the same thing as I did back then, Eventually, he's going to go in melee, roll a Fumble, and hurt himself, since his DEF is not that great from being a Mage and the battle flail has OD-2... First fight against orcs, right after leaving town. He had casted Cloud of Remorse and probably thought that since the orcs had a -1 on all checks, now was his time to shine.

So he rolls his Fumble right away. He then rolls a Coup attacking himself... 19 points of damage total which of course he fails to defend against because his DEF sucks. He one-shotted himself. Laughter erupts around the table, but he wasn't laughing though...  ;D

sico72

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 12. May 2017, 06:05:16 »

Epic Fail... ;D

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #5 on: 12. May 2017, 23:59:57 »

I think you mean "epic flail"...  :P

sico72