Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Attack on Outpost 9, a preamble adventure.  (Read 2938 times)

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Attack on Outpost 9, a preamble adventure.
« on: 01. October 2011, 02:19:12 »

In this thread I am posting what I call a "preamble adventure."  It in such a way that it can be clicked into most worlds.  It's only half of a story because it is meant to be a launchpad for any new Game Master.  There are a few detailed encounters which leave the players in an open-ended situation on the edge of civilization. 

If you've started designing your world but don't know how to get the ball rolling on your game, this might be just the thing for you.  The story takes place in a border town called East Haven.  If you've got no room on the East side of your map, you can rename the town North Haven or West Haven and pop it into your world. 

I may have taken small liberty in how I dole out XP in this module.  Rather than calculating XP to the decimal, I have provided suggested XP awards for some encounters.  The rules of the game state that about 25% of XP for enemies should be awarded as bonuses for achievements.  In this module XP is awarded for some non-combat achievements which have little or nothing to do with the value of the enemies.  I encourage a GM who tries the preamble to hand out awards of 5 & 10 XP for other non-combat behaviors that players exhibit, which you would like to reinforce.  I further suggest that, as players level up, such awards should be increased, in moderation.

In closing, I'd like to say that, if  :ds: developers like my preamble adventure, they may have it.  All I ask is that my name be sighted as its author. 

Zack Smith,
infinidibulum

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Attack on Outpost 9, introduction.
« Reply #1 on: 01. October 2011, 02:20:11 »

Attack on Outpost 9

Introduction: 
?East Haven is a small town on the border of the frontier.  Many years ago it was overrun by a horde of Orcs, during the war known as the Scourge of Edras.  You (the players), where all too young to defend your homes in those dark times but your elders rose up and drove the enemy out of the land, across the craggy Endland Mountains.
?Further east of East Haven, at the edge of a swampy, uninhabitable region known as The Soggy Downs, a small fort was constructed, to guard against further incursions. This fortress is known simply as Outpost 9.
?Much time has past since any danger has crossed the Endland Mountains.  Still, few have settled East of East Haven and the land between the town and the outpost is largely untamed.  Today, Outpost 9 is guarded by a skeleton troop of just twenty soldiers.  Each month, a small group of young men is chosen to deliver supplies to the outpost.
?This month, you have been chosen to carry supplies to Outpost 9.  Each of you will receive one Gold Piece for your efforts.  The two-day trek to the outpost will be lead by Lance Scout Mathias Rimes, an experienced soldier who has lead the expedition many times before.  You?ve all been introduced to each other and are assembled before the gates of East Haven, prepared to begin the journey.
?Lance Scout Rimes stands before you now, checking the straps tethering the oxen to one of two large supply carts, he says, ?Looks to be everything is in order.  I?ll be your caretaker for the next few days.  Just stick to the road and mind cart, unless I tell you otherwise.  I?ll be checking up the road and to the north and south, not that ambush is to be expected.  When I?m not with you, just remember what I said, stick to the road and keep a steady pace.?
« Last Edit: 09. October 2011, 17:35:17 by Sedy »

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Re: Attack on Outpost 9, Mathias, Veteran Scout
« Reply #2 on: 01. October 2011, 02:23:20 »

Mathias Rimes:  Level 3 Human, Scout
Body:   6   Agility:  8   Mind:  4
ST: 2      DX:  2      RE:  2
TO: 2      RF:  4      AU: 0

Hitpoints:  22                         Defense:  8 + 3 (11)
MA:  8 + 1 (9)   RA: 10 + 1 (11)   Dodge:  11 ? 3 (8)
Spell:  N/A         Tspell:  N/A
Speed: 5         Init:  14

Talents:  Hunter I, Fast Reflexes I, Stealth I

Special Equipment:  A Key, Leather Jerkin, Leather Bracers/Greaves, Plate Helm, Short Bow Quiver of Arrows, Short Sword, Dagger, Healing Potion, Bandages, Flint & Tinder, Bracelet of the Sentry (description is found in the magic item list for this quest).
(other equipment the party might need is stored in the oxcarts with the outpost supplies)

NPC Notes: 
Mathias? purpose is to get the party to Falcon?s Perch, a campsite on the top of a high hill just off the road to Outpost 9.  On the first day, he will often leave the party alone on the road, as he scouts around.  He always manages to find the party again.  Mathias isn?t particularly mean but if the party members don?t stay on the road, he can get very gruff.  He is a soldier and will give the party direct orders, if need be. 
While Mathias may be controlled as if he were a PC, it is suggested that (as long as the story is moving according to plan) his actions need not be rolled.  The story provides suggestions as to when he might defeat enemies or be defeated himself.  If treated as a PC, consider him to have 100xp at the start of the story.  This will allow players to catch up to him quickly. 
If Mathias ?dies? he should be considered to be unconscious and seriously wounded.  He has one more healing potion conveniently stashed in his pocket.
If players ask:
About the Scourge War (Scourge of Edan):  ?I was a young man, then.  I joined up to help take back East Haven but by the time I was trained, the army had already crossed The Soggy Downs into the Endland Foothills.  Young men like me were used to ferret out the stragglers that Edan left behind.?
About trouble since the Scourge:  ?You do occasionally get Goblins out of the Endland Mountains out East but Goblins ain?t Orcs and I?ve never seen more than a dozen in years.  A ways to the South, in the Soggy Downs, there are Trolls.  I?ve seen a few come up this way but never seen more than one at a time.  They know to steer clear of the Outpost and the road.  What we?re most concerned about is wolves that might be interested in the oxen.?
About something else:  Either make up an answer and note it on his character sheet if you might need to remember it later, or have him say, ?You ask too many questions.  Mind your cart.?  Keep in mind that, while he?s not stupid, Mathias isn?t extremely smart.  His opinions and knowledge of most things will be fairly simple.
« Last Edit: 09. October 2011, 17:35:23 by Sedy »

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Re: Attack on Outpost 9, Traveling the Outpost Road (1st encounter)
« Reply #3 on: 01. October 2011, 02:25:38 »

Traveling the Outpost Road

It is springtime.  The morning provides a cool breeze for the start of the journey.  After an hour, there are no farmhouses or other signs of civilization to be seen, other than the road to Outpost 9.  Mathias is rarely with the party.  He tends to run ahead and disappear down the winding road only to show up from out of nowhere a while later, to check on the group. 
   When the sun rises up to the center of the sky, Mathias returns from scouting and orders a short break for lunch.  The weather has warmed up but it is bearable and quite pleasant in the shade of one of the many budding trees that line the road.
   [Players may chose to converse during lunch]
   After the short break, Mathias orders the group to continue on and again heads down the road to scout ahead.

First Encounter
   Later on in the afternoon, the Oxen start acting anxiously.  They snort and stomp and resist moving forward. 
[Each player may make a standard perception check to notice the following:
?There is a rusting from a nearby stand of trees and a the low growl of a hungry wolf.?  If the players all fail the check, the wolves come out of cover with initiative bonuses.]
A pack of wolves is looking for dinner and Mathias is nowhere to be seen.

[Use the standard wolf stats from the Bestiary in the basic rules. 
The number of wolves should be one more than the number of characters in the party. 
In order to keep the wolves from obliterating the party, some will threaten the oxen or circle and snarl rather than attacking like an army. 
Mathias is behind the wolf pack.  He?s been stalking them.  During every even round of combat (2nd, 4th), Mathias will strike one wolf with an arrow, either killing it or driving it off. 
After the fourth round, the wolf pack will try to escape. 
Each player receives 15 XP for this encounter, plus 5xp for any wolves that players dispatched and plus 5 XP if any player takes particularly heroic actions, such as protecting another player or one of the oxen.]

After the battle, Mathias steps out of the woods, with his bow in hand, saying, ?Well that could have been worse.?

Once players have collected themselves and are ready to move on, Mathias leads the party down the road.  As the evening shadows grow long, they come to a steep side-road that leads the party up to Falcon Perch, where they will camp for the night. 
At the campsite, the hilltop is bald, except for several ancient, broken pieces of stonework stand about.  There is also what looks to be a small, crumbled alter that bears a crude and weatherworn sculpture of a falcon?s body, without the head.  Mathias knows that Falcon?s Perch was, long ago, the site of a temple dedicated to the ancient goddess of birds and the wind, Skireye.
Carved on the walls are the spells ?Blinding Flash,? ?Protection? and ?Magic Weapon.?  Players with scrolls and writing utensils may copy them.
From Falcon?s Perch, the players will be able to see the distant Endland Mountains and their foothills.  Mathias is able to point out the location of Outpost 9, on the edge of the swamplands at the base of the foothills.  Though the Outpost is not visible, Mathias should explain that, at night, the signal fire from Outpost 9 would be visible from Falcon?s Perch.  Years ago, there would always be a few soldiers encamped on Falcon Perch, watching for the signal fire.  This signal would only be lit, if the fort came under attack. 
After dinner, Mathias will ask the party to select watch duties.  Every member of the group should stay awake for a portion of the night, to keep an eye out for trouble and to tend the fire.  Once it is determined which character will be on the final watch duty, proceed with ?the second encounter.?
« Last Edit: 09. October 2011, 17:35:28 by Sedy »

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Attack on Outpost 9, Falcon's Perch (second encounter)
« Reply #4 on: 01. October 2011, 02:28:01 »

The Second Encounter

To the East, the sky begins to show hints of color, which dimly outline the Endland Mountaintops.  Soon it will be time to begin the final leg of the trip.
   The character on watch should make a normal perception check.  If successful, the signal flame of Outpost 9 is seen in the distance.  Go to situation 1, below.  If the character fails, another perception check may be made as an easy (+2) check.   If successful, the gibbering of goblins can be heard coming up the hill toward Falcon Perch.  Go to situation 2, below.  If the character fails both checks, go to situation 3, below.

Situation 1: 
You see the signal flame of Outpost 9.  The fort must be under attack.  What will you do?
If the character wakes Mathias, he will ask the group to make ready to go and investigate what is going on at the fort.  The group will be ready and each will be able to make a normal perception check.  If any succeed, they will notice the approaching goblins in time to set up an ambush.  If none succeed, the party will still not be ambushed by the goblins but will notice them approaching on the edge of the path, through the woods below.  Start the combat either with the party?s ambush set, or with both groups about 20 meters apart (goblins in the woods and the party in the ruins).
If the character wakes only party members and Mathias isn?t awakened, the same checks can be made, but players must indicate that they are alert for nearby danger, or else the perception checks are made as difficult (-2) checks.
Any characters left sleeping cannot make perception checks and must spend one round waking up and one round standing before they may draw a weapon or otherwise act.  If the character on watch decides to attack or distract the Goblins alone, it will be very risky.

Situation 2: 
   You hear the gibbering voices of Goblins approaching from the path below.  The woods below obscure them and they aren?t upon you yet but they?ll be at the camp in no time.  What do you do?
   If the player decides to run, Mathias will wake up in time to rouse the party for the fight.  The party will be ambushed (-10 init).
   If the player decides to single-handedly attack or distract the Goblins, the party will wake to the sounds of battle but must take two rounds to prepare for combat before taking combat actions (1st round, wake up, second round, get up).
   Any characters woken up by the character on watch will be ready to face the goblins without ambush.     
   If the character on watch makes the right choice and wakes everyone up immediately, neither side will be ambushed and the battle will commence with the goblins at the edge of the woods, by the path, about 20 meters away from the campsite.

Situation 3:
   You gaze at the stars, oblivious to the clamor of the approaching Goblins.
   If both perception checks are failed by the character on watch, Mathias will wake up and shout, ?What?s that?!??  He will leap to his feet and roar, ?Goblins!  To arms!?  waking the party.  Only Mathias and the character on watch will be able to act during the first round of combat and the entire party is ambushed, the goblins act with +10 to initiative.  The battle starts with the Goblins 20 meters away.

[The Goblin scouting party is lead by a Hobgoblin.
The number of Goblins in the scouting party should be double the number of players (not including Mathias), minus one.  (four players = seven goblins)
Use the standard Bestiary & Monster Mash stats.
The Hobgoblin leader has a Burglar?s Pendant, which Mathias will recognize and offer to the party after the battle.
Mathias will use his short bow and will kill one goblin on every odd round (1st, 3rd, 5th, etc) until he is engaged in melee.  At that point he will switch to his short sword and continue in the same fashion (losing one round to switch weapons).  If he is forced into combat with the Hobgoblin, resolve his attacks as if he were a PC.
   During the first round, the Hobgoblin will order a charge, keeping two goblins with him, as archers.  The two archers will randomly target the party.
   During the second round, the Hobgoblin will order his archers to advance and take cover at the edge of the woods.  The rest of the Goblins will charge or continue to fight.
   Starting with the third round, the Hobgoblin and his archers will all fire arrows until the party or the rest of the Goblins in melee are defeated.  If one of the party members attacks the archers, the Hobgoblin will switch to his Glaive and attack in melee.

Goblins should arrive in melee in waves of no more than 3.  (Example:  Party size is 5.  Goblin scout troop is 10.  2 stay with Hobgoblin & 8 attack. At a distance of 20 meters, it will require the Goblins to Dash twice to cover 16 meters.  Mathias kills one of them on the way.  On the third round, three attack, followed by three more, with one waiting at the back of the pack, for the next round).
The Goblin archers should not fire at players who are engaged in melee with their compatriots. 
If all of the goblins in melee are defeated or if more than two party members attack the Hobgoblin, he may retreat, leaving his archers to fend for themselves.

After the Battle, Mathias will examine the body of the Hobgoblin and find the Burglar?s Pendant.  Mathias will also notice a sigil on the Hobgoblin?s battered helmet.
Mathias:  ?This helmet has the mark of the Brown Claw Orc Clan.  I haven?t seen this since the Scourge.  If this Hobgoblin didn?t just find it in a ditch, then we?ve got more trouble than I care to think about.  Outpost 9 could be under siege from over the mountains.?

Surviving characters should each receive 25 XP +5 if the Hobgoblin is killed & +5 if any of the characters performed heroic acts.]
   Players may level up here.  Check XP.  Remember that there are spells written on the temple ruins? walls.  If characters have died, they may keep XP from the first encounter and create new characters, for the next scene.  The dead may be placed on the wagons for future resurrection but the Game Master should encourage players to start from scratch.
« Last Edit: 09. October 2011, 17:35:34 by Sedy »

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Attack on Outpost 9, The Morning After
« Reply #5 on: 01. October 2011, 02:31:48 »

The Morning After:
   If characters have died and been replaced, the new characters will meet the party at the base of the Falcon Perch path.  The new characters will have seen Goblin patrols in the area and ran to Goblin Perch to get a look around.
   If the party insists on returning to East Haven, go to the ?Retreat to East Haven? encounter, below.
   Mathias will insist that the party investigate what has happened at Outpost 9.   If the party agrees to investigate, proceed from here.  Mathias will tether the oxen and leave the carts behind, explaining that the group can take a more direct overland route, off road. 
   Unfettered by the need to care for the caravan, the party makes good time through the woods, following trails that only Mathias seems to recognize.  By early afternoon, Mathias will have brought the party to a vantage point from which they can see Outpost 9.  From the top of a densely wooded hill, the party will see dozens of Goblins milling around the fort.  Occasionally an arrow will flick out from the wall and send them scurrying out of range.
   Outpost 9 is a large structure, originally constructed as a base for 100 soldiers.  The walls are 4 meters tall, made of heavy timber.  Visible from the outside are the rooftop of the second story of the officers? cabin and the much taller watchtower.  From the watchtower, smoke billows as the embers of the signal fire smolder.

Mathias? Options:
   After surveying the situation, Mathias turns to the group and says, ?The Goblins are out in force.  We?ve got to make a choice.  Back in East Haven, the Captain has no more than ten men on leave from duty at the fort and a few officers.  They won?t come out.  They?ll send for reinforcements.  The outpost won?t get help inside a week. 
   ?I?ve got a key for the gate of the escape hatch.  I can get us in but that means we?ll be trapped inside with the rest.  Since they haven?t used the escape tunnel, that means either they don?t think they can fight their way out or they don?t want to. 
   ?If you lot want to, we can split up here and I can get myself inside.  You can get back to East Haven and call for reinforcements, or you can stick with me.  If you stick with me, we can either try to get inside, or see if we can do some good taking down their patrols on the outside, without drawing the main force.  Whatever you decide, I?m staying.  I know a lot of the boys in that fort and I?m not walking away.?

If the party chooses to leave Mathias and return to East Haven, go to ?Retreat to East Haven? below. 
   If the party chooses to help Mathias sneak into Outpost 9, go to ?Fight for the Fort? below.
   If the party chooses to help Mathias perform hit & run strikes on the Goblins, go to ?Hit and Run? below.
   If the party comes up with another plan, it?s time for freestyle Game Mastering.
« Last Edit: 09. October 2011, 17:35:40 by Sedy »

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Attack on Outpost 9, Hard Choices (3rd encounter possiblities)
« Reply #6 on: 01. October 2011, 02:34:47 »

Retreat to East Haven:
   If at any point the party decides to return to East Haven, Mathias will offer one of the party members his Bracelet of the Sentry.  It?s a good thing too because they will run into a Goblin patrol (number of goblins = party size times two), lead by a Hobgoblin.  The Goblin patrol is taking the road to East Haven. The bracelet will ensure that the party has the option to ambush or avoid the patrol.  Avoiding the patrol successfully grants the party 20 XP each (+10 if they arrive in town in time to raise the alarm and bring fighters to wipe out the patrol). 
   If the party does not fight the Goblins and does not manage to reach East Haven at least two hours ahead of them, the Goblins will ransack a couple of homes on the outskirts of town and then head back to rejoin the main siege force.
   Once back at East Haven, this preamble ends and the rest story is in the hands of the Game Master.

Fight for the Fort:
   If the party decides to join Mathias in his attempt to enter Outpost 9 & join the defenders, he will describe the location of the secret tunnel entrance to the fort.  This entrance is 50 meters from the Western fort wall. 
        As they near the tunnel, the party will have to sneak to the tunnel by making two stealth rolls.  The first stealth roll will be very easy (+4) and the second will be easy (+2).  Each party member makes both rolls.  Add all of the group?s failures together.  If one roll is failed (or zero), the party successfully sneaks to the tunnel undetected.  If two rolls are failed, the attention of one squad of Goblins is attracted and the patrol will reach the tunnel in four rounds.  If three rolls are failed, the patrol approaches with more urgency and will reach the tunnel in two rounds.  If four or more rolls are failed, the patrol sounds an alarm, will reach the tunnel in two rounds and will be followed by another squad every two rounds after that. 
   Once in the tunnel, the party must move 50 meters to the base of the fort.  It will take Mathias one round to use his key to unlock the gate.  If Mathias is not able, the lock is easy (+2) to pick.  If Goblins are in pursuit, they may fire arrows at the party, if they are not in melee range.  Since the tunnel is low, the range penalties are doubled.
   Successfully entering Outpost 9 earns each party member 20 XP +10 if none of the party members are injured in the process.
   Once inside Outpost 9 this preamble ends and the rest story is in the hands of the Game Master.

Hit and Run:
   After surveying the enemy position for several minutes, Mathias draws a diagram in the dirt, with his dagger.  A square represents the fort, a long line represents the Outpost Road, a mushroom cap represents the secret tunnel and six rocks represent the enemy besieging Outpost 9.
 ?There are five regular squads and one small command squad.  We?re tough enough to take out one squad alone, in an ambush, but if we get caught between two of them, we?re as good as dead.  The squads are on a patrol rotation, so it should be possible to catch one far enough out from the main force to engage them.  Once we?ve done that, they?re not likely to fall for it again but if we?re lucky, since there will only be four regular squads left, they?ll be foolish enough to send one squad in search of the missing one.
   ?If they do send more than one squad after us, we can either run for East Haven, through the woods, or we can make a break for the fort?s tunnel.
   ?I can?t tell how many of our men are left in the fort but I?d guess there are at least ten.  If we pull more than one squad away from the main group, that will give them the chance that they need to attack.?
   Mathias? evaluation of the situation is accurate.  In order to successfully ambush a patrol squad every ambushing party member must make an easy (+2) stealth check.  If more than one party member fails the check, the patrol will not be considered to be surprised.  If even one party member rolls a critical failure, the ambush will backfire and the party will be surprised. 
   After the battle with the first patrol squad this preamble ends and the rest of the story is in the hands of the Game Master.
« Last Edit: 09. October 2011, 17:35:46 by Sedy »

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Attack on Outpost 9, basic details and stats
« Reply #7 on: 01. October 2011, 02:36:34 »

Retreat to East Haven:
   If at any point the party decides to return to East Haven, Mathias will offer one of the party members his Bracelet of the Sentry.  It?s a good thing too because they will run into a Goblin patrol (number of goblins = party size times two), lead by a Hobgoblin.  The Goblin patrol is taking the road to East Haven. The bracelet will ensure that the party has the option to ambush or avoid the patrol.  Avoiding the patrol successfully grants the party 20 XP each (+10 if they arrive in town in time to raise the alarm and bring fighters to wipe out the patrol). 
   If the party does not fight the Goblins and does not manage to reach East Haven at least two hours ahead of them, the Goblins will ransack a couple of homes on the outskirts of town and then head back to rejoin the main siege force.
   Once back at East Haven, this preamble ends and the rest story is in the hands of the Game Master.

Fight for the Fort:
   If the party decides to join Mathias in his attempt to enter Outpost 9 & join the defenders, he will describe the location of the secret tunnel entrance to the fort.  This entrance is 50 meters from the Western fort wall. 
As they near the tunnel, the party will have to sneak to the tunnel by making two stealth rolls.  The first stealth roll will be very easy (+4) and the second will be easy (+2).  Each party member makes both rolls.  Add all of the group?s failures together.  If one roll is failed (or zero), the party successfully sneaks to the tunnel undetected.  If two rolls are failed, the attention of one squad of Goblins is attracted and the patrol will reach the tunnel in four rounds.  If three rolls are failed, the patrol approaches with more urgency and will reach the tunnel in two rounds.  If four or more rolls are failed, the patrol sounds an alarm, will reach the tunnel in two rounds and will be followed by another squad every two rounds after that. 
   Once in the tunnel, the party must move 50 meters to the base of the fort.  It will take Mathias one round to use his key to unlock the gate.  If Mathias is not able, the lock is easy (+2) to pick.  If Goblins are in pursuit, they may fire arrows at the party, if they are not in melee range.  Since the tunnel is low, the range penalties are doubled.
   Successfully entering Outpost 9 earns each party member 20 XP +10 if none of the party members are injured in the process.
   Once inside Outpost 9 this preamble ends and the rest story is in the hands of the Game Master.

Hit and Run:
   After surveying the enemy position for several minutes, Mathias draws a diagram in the dirt, with his dagger.  A square represents the fort, a long line represents the Outpost Road, a mushroom cap represents the secret tunnel and six rocks represent the enemy besieging Outpost 9.
 ?There are five regular squads and one small command squad.  We?re tough enough to take out one squad alone, in an ambush, but if we get caught between two of them, we?re as good as dead.  The squads are on a patrol rotation, so it should be possible to catch one far enough out from the main force to engage them.  Once we?ve done that, they?re not likely to fall for it again but if we?re lucky, since there will only be four regular squads left, they?ll be foolish enough to send one squad in search of the missing one.
   ?If they do send more than one squad after us, we can either run for East Haven, through the woods, or we can make a break for the fort?s tunnel.
   ?I can?t tell how many of our men are left in the fort but I?d guess there are at least ten.  If we pull more than one squad away from the main group, that will give them the chance that they need to attack.?
   Mathias? evaluation of the situation is accurate.  In order to successfully ambush a patrol squad every ambushing party member must make an easy (+2) stealth check.  If more than one party member fails the check, the patrol will not be considered to be surprised.  If even one party member rolls a critical failure, the ambush will backfire and the party will be surprised. 
   After the battle with the first patrol squad this preamble ends and the rest of the story is in the hands of the Game Master.

Magic Items:

Focus Ring:  Etched with runic designs, the Focus Ring increases the chance of a spell to succeed by one but decreases the spell?s maximum effect by one.  Example:  Allya?s Fire Ray normally hits on a roll of 12 or less.  When she uses her Focus Ring, it hits on a roll of 13 or less, but for a maximum of 11 damage.  [250 GP]

Champion?s Helm:  This ornate helmet magically enhances a warrior?s ability to perceive opportunities in combat.  Increases the wearer?s defense by one and reduces their target?s defense roll by one (not cumulative with other sense-enhancing magical effects).  [500 GP]

Burglar?s Pendant:  A necklace with a quartz stone that, when dangled, is drawn slightly (like a compass) toward the nearest, largest, source of gold within 20 meters.  [50 GP]

Bracelet of the Sentry:  This silver bracelet gently and repeatedly constricts when Goblins or Orcs (or any other closely related species) are within 100 meters.  The rate of the contraction increases as the distance closes.  [200 GP]
« Last Edit: 09. October 2011, 17:36:37 by Sedy »

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Attack on Outpost 9, Notes to a new GM
« Reply #8 on: 01. October 2011, 02:37:55 »

Notes for a new GM:
   Players may suggest actions that have not been considered in this module.  Don?t be too heavy handed in insisting that players bend to Mathias? will.  He?s a regular soldier, not a General.  If there are not enough details provided you must use your imagination.  You can do it.  You?ll find that such creative choices are what makes the game fun.
   The scenario presents the possibility that you may need to run a large-scale battle, with several NPCs on both sides.  Don?t be intimidated by this and don?t bore your players while you roll dice for every NPC as they yawn and chat about the weather.  It?s perfectly fine to toss some dummy dice behind a screen and simply narrate the actions of friendly NPCs.  You might create a simple system, if you don?t want to pretend that you?re handling all of the mechanics.  A very simple example would be to roll a die and, if it is even, things are going well for the friendly NPCs, if the die is odd, things are going well for the enemies. 
   This game is designed as an example of the kind of details that make a good adventure and to teach new players what they will be up against before they are on their own.  If the party becomes attached to one or more NPCs (hopefully they?ll like Mathias) it?s good to involve those NPCs in the story as it progresses.  Ideally, though, the players should take control of their own destiny and not rely heavily on NPC support.  If put too much trust in your NPCs, you should start having your NPCs make mistakes. 
   Game Mastering is a balancing act between leading your players by the nose, waving magic wands to create a happy ending and hanging your players out to dry and punishing them for bad mistakes.  If you always chose the benevolent role, your players will be less creative and settle back while you tell them a happy story about themselves.  If you always chose the malevolent role, your players will become frustrated and might even stop showing up at game night.
   For the benevolent Game Master, take note of the first encounter, with the wolves.  Not all enemies will attack, like robots.  If your players get themselves into a jam and you believe that you?ve created a situation that is beyond their ability to deal with, the enemy can always make a mistake.  A wounded Goblin might turn tail and run, rather than attacking; A leader might arrogantly call off his minions and step up to personally dispatch his foe, in order to display his strength.  In this game, particularly, there is nothing wrong with bringing the troops out of Outpost 9 or conjuring up a random hunting party to save the day.
   For the Malevolent Game Master, let your players die.  Allow them to create new characters with 75% of the XP of their deceased character.  Once your players realize that the world doesn?t end when their fictitious alter-ego perishes, they will lighten up and enjoy the dangers that you present to them.  Losing a chunk of their XP will sting, but won?t leave them feeling as if they?ve been abused.  If you?re killing PCs off frequently, you should give them something to do, especially when the party can?t logically meet up with new friends.  Hand NPCs or to players who are out of the action, or even Monsters!  You?d be surprised at the things that a player might do, that you?d never think of.
« Last Edit: 09. October 2011, 17:36:44 by Sedy »

infinidibulum

• Level 6
Re: Attack on Outpost 9, Human NPCs
« Reply #9 on: 02. October 2011, 05:41:32 »

All of the NPC stats that I've provided are for Human characters.  If you'd like to make some of the NPCs Dwarves or Elves, that's great.  Just remove one talent and add in the appropriate racial bonuses.

I only came upon :ds: a week ago, so if anyone notices mistakes in the stats, feel free to comment and correct me.

Level 1 Fighter:  Body:  8   Agility:  6    Mind:  4
   ST: 2   TO: 2   RF: 1   DX: 2   RE: 2   AU: 0
   HP:   20      Def:   14    AV:   4   
   MA:   11      RA:   11   DO:   3
   Spell:   N/A      Tspell:      N/A
   Init:   6      Speed:     3   
   Perception I
   Chainmail, Steel Shield, Greaves, Helmet, Short Sword, Short Bow

Level 2 Fighter:  Body:  8   Agility:  6    Mind:  4
   ST: 2   TO: 3   RF: 1   DX: 2   RE: 2   AU: 0
   HP:   21      Def:   16   AV:   4   
   Init:   6      Speed:     3
   Perception I, Steadfast I
   Chainmail, Steel Shield, Greaves, Helmet, Short Sword, Short Bow

Level 3 Fighter:  Body:  8   Agility:  6    Mind:  4
   ST: 2   TO: 3   RF: 1   DX: 2   RE: 2   AU: 0
   HP:   27      Def:   14   AV:   4   
   Init:   6      Speed:     2
   Perception I, Steadfast I, Parry I
   Chainmail, Steel Shield, Greaves, Helmet, Broad Sword, Short Bow

Level 4 Fighter:  Body:  8   Agility:  6    Mind:  4
   ST: 3   TO: 3   RF: 1   DX: 2   RE: 2   AU: 0
   HP:   27      Def:   17   AV:   6   
   MA:   13      RA:   11   DO:   3
   Perception I, Steadfast I, Parry I, Education I
   Plate Armor, Steel Shield, Plate Greaves, Helmet, Long Sword

Level 5 Fighter:  Body:  6   Agility:  6    Mind:  6
   ST: 2   TO: 2   RF: 1   DX: 2   RE: 3   AU: 1
   HP:   27      Def:   17   AV:   6   
   MA:   10      RA:   9   DO:   3
   Perception I, Steadfast I, Parry I, Education II
   Plate Armor, Steel Shield, Plate Greaves, Helmet, Long Sword

Level 3 Scout:
Body:   6   Agility:  8   Mind:  4
ST: 2      DX:  2      RE:  2
TO: 2      RF:  4      AU: 0

Hitpoints:  22         Defense:  8 + 3
MA:  8 + 1   RA: 10 + 1   Dodge:  11 ? 3
Spell:  N/A         Tspell:  N/A
Speed: 5         Init:  14 -1

Talents:  Hunter I, Fast Reflexes I, Stealth I
Leather Armor, Leather Greaves, Plate helm, Short Sword, Short Bow

Level 4 Spellcaster, Healer:
   Body:   4      Agility:  4      Mind:   10
   ST: 1         RF: 0         RE:  4
   TO: 1         DX:  2         AU:  5
   Hitpoints:  15      Defense:  7      AV:  2
   MA:  6         RA: N/A      DO:  2 
   Spell:   15      Tspell:   12 +1      CHSpell:  14 +1
   Init:  4         Speed:  3

Education II, Spellchanger I, Spellforce I
   Staff, Leather Armor, Leather Greaves, 6 healing potions.
   Spells: Healing Hands, Arrow of Light, Halt, Healing Light.
« Last Edit: 09. October 2011, 17:33:30 by Sedy »

dargndorp

• Level 11
  • DS4 co-translator
Re: Attack on Outpost 9, a preamble adventure.
« Reply #10 on: 17. October 2011, 17:38:10 »

I'll get around to having a good look at this once DS4 is out the door. Meanwhile, I've added it to the contribution collection.
I suck at prophecy

infinidibulum

• Level 6
« Reply #11 on: 22. October 2011, 07:25:38 »

(note, all caps)

THANKS!~

oninowon

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: 25. June 2012, 18:43:41 »

It would have been more convenient if you would have put up a pdf version or at least a Word version.