Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/15/d176520641/htdocs/dungeonslayersUS/forum/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/15/d176520641/htdocs/dungeonslayersUS/forum/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Wondering if 5th edition might be an idea.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wondering if 5th edition might be an idea.  (Read 238 times)

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
Wondering if 5th edition might be an idea.
« on: 01. February 2019, 23:37:16 »

Hello everyone,

As we all know, number of people have mentioned, in various threads, some problems they noticed with DS4 (players heavily favoring combat talents, which leads to monsters not being a threat at some point, the fact that Hero Classes are available at 10th level it limits player's build customization, etc.).

Are there talks of a possible 5th edition anywhere? Perhaps on the German forums? Is it being worked on right now? Should we start working on one? Any ideas? comments?

Kame the Bard

• Level 4
Re: Wondering if 5th edition might be an idea.
« Reply #1 on: 05. February 2019, 03:48:39 »

I haven't seen anything about a DS5 on the german forums. Of course I am relying on Google Translate to read them.  8-)

I'd like to see a DS4 Revised (or whatever it could be called). Have you made a list of what you would like to change/fix? I'd gladly brainstorm or pick through the german forums to see if they've addressed anything.

I'd wish that CK could take part, but I'm pretty sure that he has doesn't any interest outside of the german site anymore.

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #2 on: 05. February 2019, 04:24:54 »

Hmm, yeah, a revision instead of a whole new edition could probably also possible... The main things I feel needs fixing:

• Combat-themed talents gets picked way much more often than non-combats one, making players too powerful in combat and making them have a lot of difficulties with out of combat checks.

• Monsters having difficulty being a threat to the players after about 6th or 8th level.

Kame the Bard

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 09. February 2019, 03:08:19 »

Do you think that healing has something to do with it? I've wondered if being able to constantly heal might be negativity affecting things. It would make combat easier with a constant flow of health. And when outside of combat, it would make traps trivial if they don't immediately kill, or happen during combat.
That, and it bugs me that Monk is under Healer.  8-)

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #4 on: 09. February 2019, 21:40:42 »

Probably could. But other members on this forum have suggested to avoid purely damaging traps for that purpose. Traps which summons or warn monsters or traps which splits the party are great for DS4 (whether they also damage the players or not).
Sleeping or paralysis poisons can also work well, especially if it summons or warn monsters as above.
Then you have "save or die" traps. I'd suggest against them because they tend to suck, but they are part of old-school gaming, which DS4 is meant to be, so...

Jnov36

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 03. April 2019, 19:23:18 »

There is a couple of quick easy fixes for a lot of that.  When ever you are hit for damage, Mark it down per hit.  Each hit can only be healed once per day.  You will have some healing but not total healing every time.
For talents go every other.  Combat talent, non combat talent.  I haven't done it but it wouldn't take long at all to decide them.
Those two things can balance the game and add a whole new level of role playing not just monster bashing.

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #6 on: 13. April 2019, 14:26:46 »

The whole healing thing sounds good. Kind of reminds me of some older games where character could only get healed 1 per day (or each method of healing could only be used once per day), so this could work.

I don't really agree with forcing players to alternate between combat and non-combat talents each level though for a couple of reasons.

1) It's not all of the combat talents which causes problems. For example, Close Combat or Marksman which just increase some Combat Values by 1 per rank are not really unbalancing and those are not the talents I have gripes against.

2) Some hero classes allow one to take some specific combat talents up to 10 times. Under the combat/non-combat alternation rule, this would take choice away from those hero classes (which is why most people select hero classes in the first place...).

I'm not looking for a rule that forces player to choose non-combat talents, I'm looking for one which would suggest the players take a few non-combat talents every once in a while so as to avoid making one-dimensional combat machines...

Having a whole party maxing their Dodge in order to "Neo" their way out of every fight is not fun...

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #7 on: 29. May 2019, 17:46:18 »

I think I've found another possible solution.

Remember when I said some talents could be taken up to rank X? I've had a look at them, and I'm seriously considering lowering them to rank V. I mean, do we really need a +20 on some checks? Will you really need to change your spells 10 times? How much would a game slow down if the druid walked around 10 animals or the necromancer with 30 extra undead?

Perhaps those ranks X were too high for no good reason after all...

Edit: I just thought of something else. If all those bonuses/abilities are indeed necessary, the limit of those talents could still be reduced to 5, with the effect somewhat increased. This might make those talents, especially the non-combat ones, a more tempting choice for players...
« Last Edit: 30. May 2019, 00:43:38 by Kalajel »