Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/15/d176520641/htdocs/dungeonslayersUS/forum/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/15/d176520641/htdocs/dungeonslayersUS/forum/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
A possible suggestion to fix overpowered PCs.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: A possible suggestion to fix overpowered PCs.  (Read 633 times)

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
A possible suggestion to fix overpowered PCs.
« on: 04. November 2018, 22:13:50 »

So, several people in the past have talked about a few problems with the current edition of DS.

1) The fact that player characters take only or mostly combat-related talents when levelling up. Which leads to...

2) Pretty quickly, monsters no longer offer the players a decent challenge.

The potential fix I am proposing is a bit of a "blast from the past". In the previous edition of DS, some talents would cost 2 TPs per rank. Perhaps this should be done to the most powerful combat talents in this edition as well. Things like Close Combat, Marksman, and Fire Magic or Caregiver are not exactly unbalancing, but as soon as you enter the realm of Brutal Blows, Nasty Shots and Mindful Magics, which can stack which each other (as well as some other talents) and which have uses per combat, things can get quickly out of hand, especially if your characters can routinely attack with a CTN of 30+ or even 40+... Such talents, and subsequent powerful ones, should probably cost 2 TPs per rank.
Now, some of those talents can be taken up to 10 times by certain Hero classes which would take up all 20 TPs a character can have... So there needs to be an increase in TPs gained as well in order to keep up (and in a way, this is sort of what the Starslayers beta playtest did). But if we just give 2 TPs per level, we're not really fixing anything. Perhaps the option should be to have only certain levels grant the 2 TPs, like every even levels perhaps.

So this is basically my tentative solution:
Make Brutal Blow, Nasty Shot, Mindful Magic, and equally or more powerful talents cost 2 TPs each, and give characters 2 TPs instead of just 1 when levelling up to an even level.

mwest

• Level 5
Re: A possible suggestion to fix overpowered PCs.
« Reply #1 on: 13. November 2018, 00:59:17 »

I like the even level idea, but what about a bonus 2 TPs every four levels?

Character LevelTalent Point(s)

So by level 4 you have 6 TPs, lvl 8 =12, lvl 12 = 18, lvl 16 =24, and lvl 20 =30
While this is the same as 1, 2, 1, 2, etc. it stops really low PCs from faster acquisition.
Just a thought.

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #2 on: 13. November 2018, 04:10:46 »

Interesting. Though I'm not entirely sure how this change will help exactly since problematic talents are those available at level 4+...

Kalajel

• Level 16
  • Angry Badger God
« Reply #3 on: 25. October 2019, 23:01:09 »

I think I've just had an idea to limit overpowered characters without changing too much of the game (and keep this new houserule pretty simple). Simply categorize some talents as "Combat Talents". A "Combat Talent" would be any talent wich increases a Combat Value (even for the SPC/TSC of a small collection of spells), avoids, ignores, or reduces damage taken, harms or hinders opponents, or which have an obvious combat use (such as Armored Mage, Dodge, or Mounted Archer). As a good rule of thumb, any talent which states "once per combat per talent rank, the character can..." qualifies as a Combat Talent. As such, Combat Talents cannot be taken more than twice in a row, this includes cultural talents or talents purchased with PPs. This means that after 2 Combat Talents, a character has no choice but to take a non-combat talent.

It could be possible to bypass this limitation by expanding 1-3 PPs, depending on how nice a GM you are...