Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/15/d176520641/htdocs/dungeonslayersUS/forum/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lair of the Gorgon

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Lair of the Gorgon  (Read 3353 times)

Bretbo

• Level 3
Lair of the Gorgon
« on: 02. December 2009, 16:46:43 »

Here's a dungeon complete with a underground river...a rather contaminated one at that.  This map was designed using RPGObjects E-Adventure Tile Organizer.

CK

• Administrator
  • Level 15
  • Ignore my grammar
    • Dungeonslayers
Re: Lair of the Gorgon
« Reply #1 on: 02. December 2009, 20:10:21 »

Very nice - I like this E-Tiles and the way they fit together.
Will a legend follow or are the numbers just for service?
See that's why I kill so many npcs - you never know.

Bretbo

• Level 3
« Reply #2 on: 04. December 2009, 16:08:49 »

As a matter of fact:  ;D (comments welcome)

The Gorgon of Blackriver

A Dungeonslayers adventure by Bretbo for levels 3-6

This dungeon is the hiding place or home of a hideous Gorgon, a woman who has snakes for hair and whose gaze turns living creatures to stone.  It is essentially a cave with a network of tunnels with a underground river near the entrance that was probably carved out purposely; perhaps by some magical means.  Located in an isolated location far from any civilized place, just outside the cave entrance are several statues scattered about of people and creatures arranged in horrified poses and whose faces seem to express terror; no doubt the victims of the Gorgon?s gaze.

1. Guard Station.  A chamber with a small pool acts as both living quarters (nothing of value) and guard post where two Hobgoblins (Monster Mash, p. 2) stand guard.  If questioned, they certainly wouldn?t mind a conversation after being quite bored, they reveal to have never seen anyone come out of the cave (only go in), they?ve never met their employer and they were told to bring supplies to the bridge (see #2) and leave quickly.  They occasionally hear noise from within the cave, often horrible screams of terror.
2. Natural Bridge. Anyone who spends more than two rounds (10 seconds) on or near the bridge will be attacked by a slime monster floating on top of the water (use Ochre Blob ? Small, Monster Mash, p. 3).
3. Store Room. The Gorgon stores everything here, mostly common household items.  A successful search check (Min + Re) will find a number of gold pieces equal to the die roll scattered about.
4. Stairway landing. There is a spear trap (Melee attack 15, Dungeonslayers, P. 14) located here.
5. Guard dog pen. A horrid dog (use Demon Dog, Monster Mash, p. 2) is chained to the south most wall; capable of reaching the middle of the room.
6. Feed storage room. Rancid meat is stored here for the guard dog.  There are 4 Rats per player character (Dungeonslayers, P. 16) here.
7. Trap. Along the foot of the far wall is a small chest (which is empty), once someone steps on it a pit trap 5 meters deep with spikes at the bottom (Melee attack 15, Dungeonslayers, P. 14) is activated.
8. Gorgon?s bedroom. The nasty beast lives here.  If the players encountered her guard dog (see #5), then she is aware of their presence and will surprise them; otherwise she will be unaware of their approach.  Use the Medusa stats (Monster Mash, p. 3).
9. Gorgon?s treasure room. There are four large chests here, one which is hidden in the far right crevice.  The three unhidden chest contain 200 gold pieces, 200 silver pieces, 10 pieces of jewelry (valued at 50 gold each) and 5 potions (3 Healing and 2 Cooldown).  The hidden chest contains a Broadsword (a Magic Broadsword +2) and a Invisibility Cloak (works like Invisibility spell, works once a day, last character?s level in minutes, check 15, value: 500 gold).
10. Crevice. At the end of this crevice wedged as far back as possible is a small cylinder-shaped container with five potions capable of turning a creature turned to stone back to their original form.  Presumably, the Gorgon keeps these to undo the effect of her gaze when necessary.  Once the container is disturbed, a trap is activated; magical fire erupts out of the two smaller crevices requiring a (Agi + To) checks to avoid 20 effect fire damage; a hidden switch at the entrance of the crevice will disable it.
11. Prison. There are four statues, apparently of humans, covered in green slime.  After two rounds (10 seconds), two of them will suddenly attack (use Stone Golem, Dungeonslayers, p. 16).
12. Prison. There are four statues, apparently of elves, covered in green slime.  After two rounds (10 seconds), two of them will suddenly attack (use Stone Golem, Dungeonslayers, p. 16).
13. Trash room. The large pool is the dumping ground for every foul thing the Gorgon casts off.  Each player must make a (Bod+To) Check in order not to become sick from the putrid smell (no game effect).  There is Screaming Fungus growing on the far wall of the pool (Monster Mash, p. 4).
« Last Edit: 23. December 2009, 23:46:23 by Bretbo »

CK

• Administrator
  • Level 15
  • Ignore my grammar
    • Dungeonslayers
« Reply #3 on: 05. December 2009, 00:31:45 »

I like this cave :)

Some thoughts I had while reading:
1.) You should better give all the traps a specific check value.
2.) Room 3: Another option would be to put a specific number of coins in here and let the players find an ammount equal to their MIN+RE check result (till all the coins are finally found).
3.) Room 9: Give the sword a specific bonus (from +1 to +3).
4.) Room 11/12: Perhaps  the Stone Golem of the Basicrules would be a better choice for the statues - the stone stranglers are MonsterMash-Tim's version of the roper (which of course can be easily missed because there are no descriptions or illustrations).

The green zones represent water, right?
Do you know if E-Tile-Maps are (c)-free?
« Last Edit: 05. December 2009, 00:33:54 by Christian K. »

Bretbo

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 06. December 2009, 19:05:48 »

Some thoughts I had while reading:

Great suggestions/corrections Christian, I've incorporated all of them.  I particularily like your idea for room 3.

The green zones represent water, right?

Correct.  I added a note of this in the description

Do you know if E-Tile-Maps are (c)-free?

I used the demo version available on their site, which you can use for free.

CK

• Administrator
  • Level 15
  • Ignore my grammar
    • Dungeonslayers
« Reply #5 on: 08. December 2009, 15:18:42 »

I used the demo version available on their site, which you can use for free.
I asked because I think this would be a really nice Dungeon-To-Go. I would like - with your permission - to make a pdf of this adventure (both us and ger).Thats why I asked about the maps-(c).
« Last Edit: 08. December 2009, 20:52:30 by Christian K. »

Bretbo

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: 08. December 2009, 23:53:24 »

Permission is most certainly given; I'd be honored to have it made a Dungeon-To-Go.  Because I wasn't sure about the legal nature of using the E-Adventure Tile Organizer I didn't want to suggest doing a PDF; but if you're cool with it than, please, carry on!  I'd be happy to e-mail you the Jpeg file, it might be a little better quality than what is posted.
« Last Edit: 09. December 2009, 00:10:12 by Bretbo »

CK

• Administrator
  • Level 15
  • Ignore my grammar
    • Dungeonslayers
« Reply #7 on: 09. December 2009, 21:42:43 »

Great! Email@PM

I am not cool about, I guess the best thing will be - regarding copyright and the overall graphic style - to make a copy of the web with the :ds:-graphics, okay?

CK

• Administrator
  • Level 15
  • Ignore my grammar
    • Dungeonslayers
« Reply #8 on: 12. December 2009, 01:55:18 »

I forget last time to tell you to better reduce the number of rats - d20+10 is very high, perhaps dangerous, but will result in a very boring fight if 30 appear. What do you think about 4 rats per PC?

CK

• Administrator
  • Level 15
  • Ignore my grammar
    • Dungeonslayers
« Reply #9 on: 20. December 2009, 23:07:59 »

What do you think about a more dramatic title like "The Gorgon of Blackriver" or such a thing (actually your title brings me some layout problems because of the short lair)?

If you could even write a final roomtext for "10. Crevice There is nothing here." we would have a full page. ;)
« Last Edit: 22. December 2009, 15:50:46 by Christian K. »

Bretbo

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: 23. December 2009, 15:04:09 »

Quote from: Christian K.
..to make a copy of the web with the -graphics, okay?

Absolutley!

What do you think about 4 rats per PC?

Makes perfect sense, I'll change it.

What do you think about a more dramatic title like "The Gorgon of Blackriver" or such a thing (actually your title brings me some layout problems because of the short lair)?

I'm cool with it, especially if it helps with layout.  Your title is definetly more exciting!

If you could even write a final roomtext for "10. Crevice There is nothing here." we would have a full page.

Sure, let me mull it over...I'll post something soon.
« Last Edit: 23. December 2009, 15:11:10 by Bretbo »

Bretbo

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: 23. December 2009, 18:40:11 »

How about this:

10. Crevice ? At the end of this crevice wedged as far back as possible is a small cylinder-shaped container with five potions capable of turning a creature turned to stone back to their original form.  Presumably, the Gorgon keeps these to undo the effect of her gaze when necessary.  Once the container is disturbed, a trap is activated; magical fire erupts out of the two smaller crevices requiring a (Agi + To) checks to avoid 20 effect fire damage; a hidden switch at the entrance of the crevice will disable it.

I figure it would be good to have another trap, plus a method to save a PC who is turned to stone.  I went with Agility + Toughness for the check because I figured they had to dodge the fire and resist the heat/lack of oxygen resulting from the fire.
« Last Edit: 23. December 2009, 23:45:07 by Bretbo »

CK

• Administrator
  • Level 15
  • Ignore my grammar
    • Dungeonslayers
« Reply #12 on: 23. December 2009, 21:35:23 »

At first I thought a gorgon having such potions sounds a bit odd, but it doesn't - and if it's only to hunt some old victim for fun when time gets a bit boring in the caves. And of course such drinks should be in a turn-to-stone-dungeon :)

@Trap:Two rolls for one (Trap)Attack is a bit too much work - simply give the trap a higher check value for the damage OR let's say only one check but NO defense allowed.

Bretbo

• Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 23. December 2009, 23:44:23 »

At first I thought a gorgon having such potions sounds a bit odd, but it doesn't - and if it's only to hunt some old victim for fun when time gets a bit boring in the caves. And of course such drinks should be in a turn-to-stone-dungeon :)

You're exactly seeing what I was going for, but I tried to sum it up with "when necessary" for space considerations.  Feel free to add any such description if you like.

@Trap:Two rolls for one (Trap)Attack is a bit too much work - simply give the trap a higher check value for the damage OR let's say only one check but NO defense allowed.

Hmm, lets keep it simple and just make it one check at the 20 attack rating, I think that's powerful enough.  I was going for the idea of one fire attack going off and then the other one does, requiring two checks; but I can see how that might be too much.

CK

• Administrator
  • Level 15
  • Ignore my grammar
    • Dungeonslayers
« Reply #14 on: 24. December 2009, 00:01:25 »

Hmm, lets keep it simple and just make it one check at the 20 attack rating, I think that's powerful enough.  I was going for the idea of one fire attack going off and then the other one does, requiring two checks; but I can see how that might be too much.
Ah - know I see what I missed - two traps :P
Then two Firerays of 20 would be fine.

edit: ...and ready.
« Last Edit: 05. January 2010, 00:22:20 by Christian K. »